We are Justina and Gareth, two cheese connoisseurs from South Norwood with a passion for our local community and exceptional food.
We started Little Mouse with five aims:
- To bring exquisite produce made by small producers - preferably local - to our community
- To be a positive force for good in South Norwood and beyond - bringing well-paid jobs to, and being an active part of, the local community
- To restore and protect the heritage of high streets and local communities
- To attract people from outside our community to the area and improve economic output
- To entertain and educate people on the value of small production and artisan food manufacturing
Our passion for cheese is long-standing, but turned into a full-blown obsession during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 when – determined to learn more about good quality produce – we decided to join the Academy of Cheese.
The timing coincided with a new-found love of South Norwood – for the people, the nature, the green spaces, and the independent businesses in the area. It made sense for us to bring the two loves together: Little Mouse was born.
After selling at markets in South Norwood between March and August 2021, we decided to open a physical shop. It opened at 212A Selhurst Road, London, SE25 6XU on Saturday 13 November 2021. Just in time for the Christmas madness!
Since then, we have become a certified London Living Wage employer, committed to fair wages. We have spent all of our savings on restoring a dilapidated historic shop, and we’re slowly – but surely – becoming the go-to place for natural and organic wines, meads, and ciders.